When should I enroll in Medicare?

About three months before you turn 65, an Initial Enrollment Questionnaire (IEQ) should come in the mail to you. It’s best to enroll in Medicare during the following seven-month window. This is called your Initial Enrollment Period (IEP):

• Three months before your 65th birthday
• The month of your 65th birthday
• Three months after your 65th birthday

For instance, if your birthday is May 14, your Medicare effective date is May 1 and your enrollment window runs from Feb. 1 through Aug. 31.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
What if I have not worked long enough to qualify for Medicare?
AARPAARP
If you are 65 or older, you can buy into Medicare by paying a premium for Part A hospital insurance....
Does Medicare send representatives to sell Medicare supplemental policy?
AARPAARP
Medicare never sends representatives to go door-to-door. Nor will program representatives try to sel...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?