When should I enroll in Medicare?

About three months before you turn 65, an Initial Enrollment Questionnaire (IEQ) should come in the mail to you. It’s best to enroll in Medicare during the following seven-month window. This is called your Initial Enrollment Period (IEP):

• Three months before your 65th birthday
• The month of your 65th birthday
• Three months after your 65th birthday

For instance, if your birthday is May 14, your Medicare effective date is May 1 and your enrollment window runs from Feb. 1 through Aug. 31.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
How do I know what part of my care is covered under Medicare?
You will know what part of your care is covered under Medicare by reviewing your Evidence of Coverag...
Has fraud been a problem in Medicare?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The U.S. General Accounting Office reported a loss of $12.6 billion to the Medicare program from fra...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?