When can I apply for Medicare?

You can apply for Medicare up to three months before you turn 65 and no later than three months after you blow out those 65 candles on your birthday cake (assuming you do that on your birth date).

However, if you start receiving Social Security benefits, you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare. If you receive disability benefits or Railroad benefits, you can apply for Medicare during your initial Railroad enrollment period.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
What if I have not worked long enough to qualify for Medicare?
If you have not worked long enough to qualify for Medicare, you will need to file for Social Securit...
How can Medicare Part C affect my Medigap elibility?
AARPAARP
If you opted for a Medicare Advantage health plan (aka Part C), you cannot also buy a Medigap policy...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?