What can I do when Medicare refuses to pay for a claim?

If Medicare refuses to pay a claim, you should call your doctor’s office to make sure they submitted the correct information. Sometimes, it’s just an oversight or human error that leads to a denial of coverage.

If the claim was filed correctly but your insurance refuses to pay, you can file an appeal, also called a redetermination. Depending on the type of coverage you have, the appeals process will be slightly different and there might even be different levels of appeal. Look through the details of your plan or contact your plan’s provider. If you still have more questions or need help, contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Reasons to Switch Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare beneficiaries can make changes to their prescription drug coverage between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. This annual open enrollment period is when you...
Will the cost of vasectomy reversal procedure be covered by medicare?
Peter N. Mattar, MDPeter N. Mattar, MD
The cost of vasectomy reversal is almost never covered by any insurance carrier.  Specialized Urolog...
How can Medicare Part C affect my Medigap elibility?
AARPAARP
If you opted for a Medicare Advantage health plan (aka Part C), you cannot also buy a Medigap policy...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?