What can I do when Medicare refuses to pay for a claim?

If Medicare refuses to pay a claim, you should call your doctor’s office to make sure they submitted the correct information. Sometimes, it’s just an oversight or human error that leads to a denial of coverage.

If the claim was filed correctly but your insurance refuses to pay, you can file an appeal, also called a redetermination. Depending on the type of coverage you have, the appeals process will be slightly different and there might even be different levels of appeal. Look through the details of your plan or contact your plan’s provider. If you still have more questions or need help, contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Reasons to Switch Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare beneficiaries can make changes to their prescription drug coverage between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. This annual open enrollment period is when you...
What does the new healthcare law mean for people ages 50 to 64?
AARPAARP
If you are 50 to 64 years old, the new health care law may benefit you in several ways. It makes it ...
What questions should I ask about Medicare Supplements for a transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Questions you should ask when looking into Medicare Supplements for a transplant: Will this poli...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?