What can I do when Medicare refuses to pay for a claim?

If Medicare refuses to pay a claim, you should call your doctor’s office to make sure they submitted the correct information. Sometimes, it’s just an oversight or human error that leads to a denial of coverage.

If the claim was filed correctly but your insurance refuses to pay, you can file an appeal, also called a redetermination. Depending on the type of coverage you have, the appeals process will be slightly different and there might even be different levels of appeal. Look through the details of your plan or contact your plan’s provider. If you still have more questions or need help, contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
Do I need to present my Medicare membership card at each doctor visit?
Just like with any insurance you have or have had, you will need to present your Medicare membership...
How does my insurer decide what is an experimental treatment?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
There is little consistency among managed care organizations in determining which treatments are...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?