What Medicare plans cover prescription drug costs for a kidney transplant?

Listed below are two types of plans offering Medicare prescription drug coverage after a kidney transplant:
  • Medicare Prescription Drug Plans: These plans (sometimes called “PDPs”) add drug coverage to Original Medicare, some Medicare Cost Plans, some Medicare Private Fee-For-Service (PFFS) Plans and Medicare Medical Savings Account (MSA) Plans.
  • Medicare Advantage Plans (like an HMO or PPO) are other Medicare health plans that offer Medicare prescription drug coverage. You get all of your Part A and Part B coverage, and prescription drug coverage (Part D), through these plans. Medicare Advantage Plans with prescription drug coverage are sometimes called “MA-PDs.”
Prior to choosing a Medicare plan, make a list of all the medications you take, the doses and the pharmacy you use. Choose a plan that covers all or most drugs that you take now or you may need to take later. A plan’s list of covered drugs is called a “formulary.” Standard plans don’t cover everything, including over-the­counter medications and most vitamins and herbal supplements. Each plan has its own formulary and they can change. 

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Reasons to Switch Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare beneficiaries can make changes to their prescription drug coverage between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. This annual open enrollment period is when you...
What if I cannot afford to pay for my prescriptions?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
If you cannot pay for your prescriptions, the most important thing to do is talk to your physician. ...
What happens to my younger spouse when I go on Medicare at age 65?
AARPAARP
The best option for your spouse, frankly, is for you to work longer—if this is at all possible—so th...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?