What is the application process for Medicare?

The application process for Medicare requires you to make basic selections about your coverage. If you are already receiving Social Security and eligible for Medicare, you will be automatically enrolled. There’s no application process for you at all.

If you are eligible for Medicare but not yet receiving retirement benefits, the easiest way to apply is online. You will need to answer a series of questions to help you determine whether to file for both retirement and Medicare.

Once you finish answering all the questions and submit them, you are all set. You typically do not have to sign any forms. If during processing the Social Security office needs more information, they will get in touch with you. Other than that, you can just sit tight and wait for your Medicare card to arrive in the mail within 45 to 90 days.

If you don’t want to apply online, call or visit the Social Security Administration to request an application. Make sure you have some proof of identification such as a birth certificate or driver’s license. You will also need to verify your other insurance policies. If you are disabled, you will need to provide the names of healthcare providers who treat you.

Keep in mind that even if you aren’t Bill Gates, applying online is a lot easier and less time-consuming than driving to a Social Security office or waiting for an appointment with a Social Security representative.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
How do I know what part of my care is covered under Medicare?
You will know what part of your care is covered under Medicare by reviewing your Evidence of Coverag...
What drugs are covered under my Medicare prescription drug benefit?
Prescription drug plans are sold by private companies approved by Medicare. Each prescription drug...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?