What is included in an annual wellness visit if I have Medicare?

Medicare now pays for an annual wellness visit and a personalized prevention plan. You will be able to work with your doctor to create a personalized prevention plan to keep you as healthy as possible. The wellness visit may include the following:
  • An assessment of your health risks
  • Your updated medical history
  • A list of your current healthcare providers
  • A list of your current prescription and over-the-counter medications
  • Your height, weight, and blood pressure measurements
  • A screening schedule for appropriate preventive services for you to follow over the next five to 10 years
  • A list of your health risk factors along with treatment options
Medicare continues to cover a one-time Welcome to Medicare physical exam for people who are new to the Medicare program. The Welcome to Medicare exam is free, with no deductibles and copayments. This exam is available only once during the first 12 months of enrollment into the Medicare program.

Those who are new to Medicare cannot get both the Welcome to Medicare exam and the annual wellness visit during their first 12 months of enrollment. The annual wellness visit takes place each year after that.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
Does Medicare cover insulin pumps and related supplies?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Medicare covers insulin pumps, single and multiple use medical supplies for use with a pump, and ins...
Can I wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D when I need coverage?
You can if you want to, but keep in mind that if and when you do decide you want to sign up, you...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?