What is included in an annual wellness visit if I have Medicare?

Medicare now pays for an annual wellness visit and a personalized prevention plan. You will be able to work with your doctor to create a personalized prevention plan to keep you as healthy as possible. The wellness visit may include the following:
  • An assessment of your health risks
  • Your updated medical history
  • A list of your current healthcare providers
  • A list of your current prescription and over-the-counter medications
  • Your height, weight, and blood pressure measurements
  • A screening schedule for appropriate preventive services for you to follow over the next five to 10 years
  • A list of your health risk factors along with treatment options
Medicare continues to cover a one-time Welcome to Medicare physical exam for people who are new to the Medicare program. The Welcome to Medicare exam is free, with no deductibles and copayments. This exam is available only once during the first 12 months of enrollment into the Medicare program.

Those who are new to Medicare cannot get both the Welcome to Medicare exam and the annual wellness visit during their first 12 months of enrollment. The annual wellness visit takes place each year after that.

Continue Learning about Medicare

What to Consider When Shopping for Medicare Coverage
Between October 15 and December 7, Medicare’s annual open enrollment period, millions of Medicare beneficiaries have a chance to make changes to their...
When can I file an appeal to a Medicare claim?
If you are filing an appeal to an Original Medicare (Part A or B) claim, you must file within 120 da...
How do I know if I have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan?
AARPAARP
Your Medicare card should indicate if you have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan. If yo...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?