What drugs are covered under my Medicare prescription drug benefit?

Prescription drug plans are sold by private companies approved by Medicare. Each prescription drug plan has its own formulary (the list of generic and brand drugs the plan covers) and releases information about which drugs are covered and how much you can expect to pay.

At the very least, you know that some vaccines that are beneficial to prevent illness and are not already covered by Medicare Part B must be covered by the prescription drug plans.

If you’re curious about a certain drug in particular, contact the prescription drug plan to request a copy of the formulary. Also, make sure your pharmacy (or a convenient one) is included in the plan.

If you need to find a prescription drug plan, visit www.medicare.gov or call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227. We tried to do it with several patients to see which plan was best for each and you’ll need to spend a lot of time there if you have many medications. Your State Health Insurance Assistance Program also provides free education about plans and coverage.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Reasons to Switch Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare beneficiaries can make changes to their prescription drug coverage between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. This annual open enrollment period is when you...
What are my payment options for my Medicare premiums?
Most people do not have a premium for Medicare Part A because they have 40 quarters or more of Medic...
Can I get my “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after enrollment?
You can get your “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after you enroll in Medicare, but Medic...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?