Can I get my “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after enrollment?

You can get your “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after you enroll in Medicare, but Medicare will only cover the cost if you take advantage of it within the first 12 months after you sign up for Medicare Part B medical insurance.

Starting in 2011, Medicare enrollees will be able to go to a health care provider and get Medicare-approved preventive care services for free: Medicare will cover all the costs, with no co-payments and deductibles for you to pay. These services will include at least one free annual wellness visit, plus free screenings for bone density, diabetes and certain cancers.

Mammograms, colonoscopies and other preventive screenings are also included, and you should check with Medicare to see specifically which other approved preventive services are covered at no cost to you. And yes, you can get this wellness visit and these screenings once a year; so it’s just not a one-time benefit. But those who are new to Medicare cannot get both the “Welcome to Medicare” exam and the annual wellness visit during their first 12 months of enrollment.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
How can I enroll in Medigap insurance coverage?
You can enroll in Medicare and any supplemental Medicare plans when you file for retirement or disab...
Does Medicare cover chiropractic care?
Medicare Part B (medical insurance) pays for basic chiropractic care, or manipulation of the spi...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?