Can I wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D when I need coverage?

Yes, you can wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D but consider this carefully. There will be a financial penalty if:
You enroll later than when you were first eligible to join Part D.You have gone for more than 63 days without other drug coverage that is considered as good as Part D coverage. 

You can if you want to, but keep in mind that if and when you do decide you want to sign up, you can only do so between October 15 and December 7 each year. Not to mention, you may have to pay a penalty and a higher premium. Since you pay for fewer years, your total cost would be less even though your current costs (when you start the program) might be more. So, even if you don’t currently take many prescription drugs, consider joining when you’re first eligible, within three months of your 65th birthday.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Is there anyone I can talk to about my specific Medicare eligibility needs?
Yes. You can make an appointment with a Social Security representative at your local office by cal...
Who do I call for Medicare billing questions?
You can call the Medicare helpline for questions about billing. The number is 1-800-633-4227. Good l...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?