Can I wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D when I need coverage?

You can if you want to, but keep in mind that if and when you do decide you want to sign up, you can only do so between October 15 and December 7 each year. Not to mention, you may have to pay a penalty and a higher premium. Since you pay for fewer years, your total cost would be less even though your current costs (when you start the program) might be more. So, even if you don’t currently take many prescription drugs, consider joining when you’re first eligible, within three months of your 65th birthday.

Yes, you can wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D but consider this carefully. There will be a financial penalty if:
You enroll later than when you were first eligible to join Part D.You have gone for more than 63 days without other drug coverage that is considered as good as Part D coverage. 

Continue Learning about Medicare

What to Consider When Shopping for Medicare Coverage
Between October 15 and December 7, Medicare’s annual open enrollment period, millions of Medicare beneficiaries have a chance to make changes to their...
What is included in an annual wellness visit if I have Medicare?
AARP Health EducationAARP Health Education
Medicare now pays for an annual wellness visit and a personalized prevention plan. You will be able ...
How does Medicare work with AARP?
Medicare and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) work together like the YOU Docs who ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?