Does Medicare cover healthcare services in a foreign hospital?

Under the Original Medicare Plan, you are not covered for medical services if you travel outside the United States (or its territories). There are a few rare exceptions such as certain emergency hospital services received in Mexico and Canada, or territorial waters, though.

However, some Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans pay for healthcare expenses when you travel outside the U.S. Check with your insurance provider about the specifics of your policy relating to foreign travel coverage. (Before you travel, you may want to sign up for air evac services too -- these costs are remarkably little if you meet the conditions.) If you have Medigap (supplemental Medicare), emergency care when you travel outside the U.S. may be covered. Check Parts C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J of your policy for foreign travel coverage.

To learn more about Medicare coverage in foreign hospitals and travel outside the U.S., contact Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or www.medicare.gov.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Open Enrollment 2015: What Medicare Beneficiaries Need to Know
Medicare beneficiaries may have noticed their mailboxes are filling with brochures and packets from health insurance companies. That’s because the ope...
Why find out the treatments your policy considers experimental?
Before you sign up for a health insurance plan, you should ask do some research on the insurance com...
Will my Medicare Part D premiums increase if I earn too much money?
AARPAARP
The income levels for higher premiums start at $85,000 for a single person or $170,000 for married c...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?