Does Medicare cover healthcare services in a foreign hospital?

Under the Original Medicare Plan, you are not covered for medical services if you travel outside the United States (or its territories). There are a few rare exceptions such as certain emergency hospital services received in Mexico and Canada, or territorial waters, though.

However, some Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans pay for healthcare expenses when you travel outside the U.S. Check with your insurance provider about the specifics of your policy relating to foreign travel coverage. (Before you travel, you may want to sign up for air evac services too -- these costs are remarkably little if you meet the conditions.) If you have Medigap (supplemental Medicare), emergency care when you travel outside the U.S. may be covered. Check Parts C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J of your policy for foreign travel coverage.

To learn more about Medicare coverage in foreign hospitals and travel outside the U.S., contact Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or www.medicare.gov.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
How much does Medicare prescription drug coverage cost?
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the average monthly premium is about $40.72. But the co...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?