Why enroll for Medicare during the Initial Enrollment Period?

It's important to enroll for Medicare during the Initial Enrollment Period. If when you are first eligible you don’t enroll in Part B or Part D (which are optional and, unlike Part A, involve monthly premiums), and you don’t qualify for an exemption or special enrollment period, you could be charged higher premiums and a late enrollment penalty. Not only that, you might be limited by the times of year in which you can enroll.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Reasons to Switch Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare beneficiaries can make changes to their prescription drug coverage between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. This annual open enrollment period is when you...
How much long-term care does Medicare cover?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
People think that Medicare will carry the day for long term care. It does for no more than eight...
How do I know if I have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan?
AARPAARP
Your Medicare card should indicate if you have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan. If yo...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?