How can income level affect Medicare Part B premiums?

People with higher incomes (generally above $85,000 for an individual, or $170,000 for a couple) do pay higher Part B premiums. However, due to provisions in the new health care law, the costs of annual wellness visits and many preventive screenings are now covered in full.

For people with low incomes, the Medicaid program can act as a Medigap plan to absorb the costs Medicare doesn’t cover. 

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
What is the history of Medicare?
Medicare evolved from a request by Harry Truman for Congress to create a national health plan. As a ...
Can I cover my family under my Medicare coverage?
When it comes to Medicare, it’s each man, woman, or child for him or herself. You cannot cover your ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?