If I have a Medicare Advantage plan, do I still need Medigap insurance?

If you have a Medicare advantage plan, you do not need Medigap, a supplemental insurance that pays for what Medicare does not. In fact, you can no longer be sold a Medigap policy if you have Medicare Advantage.

For more information about Medicare advantage and Medigap, contact Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or www.medicare.gov.

Generally, once you have a Medicare Advantage plan, you don’t need or can’t use a Medicare Supplemental or Medigap policy.
If you already have a Medigap policy, you cannot use it to pay for out-of-pocket costs under your Medicare Advantage plan.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
Will additional preventive services be covered by the changes to Medicare?
Yes!! The newest addition is a free, yearly “wellness” physical exam that you get in addition to y...
What is included in an annual wellness visit if I have Medicare?
AARP Health EducationAARP Health Education
Medicare now pays for an annual wellness visit and a personalized prevention plan. You will be able ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?