How do I get my medications paid under Medicare?

You can get your prescription medication covered under Medicare by purchasing prescription drug coverage. Medicare prescription drug coverage includes Medicare prescription drug plans and Medicare advantage plans. The prescription drug plan adds drug coverage to Original Medicare and private fee for service plans. Medicare advantage plans are sold by private companies and work in conjunction with Medicare Parts A (hospital insurance) and Medicare Part B (medical insurance). The plans cover extra services such as prescription medication.

To enroll, you must have Medicare Part A or Medicare Part B and sign up during the enrollment period. Consider joining when you are first eligible for Medicare so you won't have to pay a penalty later. If you wait, your premium will be higher for as long as you have coverage.

Just make sure you read each plan carefully. You want to find the one that fits your needs the best.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
Does Medicare pay for nursing home stays?
Juliet WilkinsonJuliet Wilkinson
I would like to add to the previous answers to this question in reminding about the Medicare hospice...
How can Medicare Part C affect my Medigap elibility?
AARPAARP
If you opted for a Medicare Advantage health plan (aka Part C), you cannot also buy a Medigap policy...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?