How often can I make a change to my Medicare coverage?

You can make changes to your Medicare coverage each year during the coordinated election period, November 15 to December 31.

You can change, add, or drop coverage or switch to a different Medicare plan with drug coverage. The changes will go into effect January 1.

If you decide to switch plans, make sure you add the new plan before canceling the existing one to avoid gaps in coverage.

Check your Medicare handbook for specific guidelines for making changes or call the Social Security office.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Medicare

Medicare

Medicare is the federal health insurance plan for people over age 65 or who are long-term disabled. Eligibility and enrollment is through the Social Security Administration. Medicare has changed over the years, offering additional ...

options for healthcare insurance. Traditional Medicare includes Part A for hospital insurance and Part B for medical coverage, meaning it covers doctor visits and other medical bills. Part C, also called Medicare Advantage, allows private health insurance companies to provide Medicare benefits. Part D is a prescription drug plan. It's important to carefully assess your healthcare needs and which plan is right for you. Learn more about Medicare benefits with expert advice from Sharecare.