How often can I make a change to my Medicare coverage?

You can make changes to your Medicare coverage each year during the coordinated election period, November 15 to December 31.

You can change, add, or drop coverage or switch to a different Medicare plan with drug coverage. The changes will go into effect January 1.

If you decide to switch plans, make sure you add the new plan before canceling the existing one to avoid gaps in coverage.

Check your Medicare handbook for specific guidelines for making changes or call the Social Security office.

Continue Learning about Medicare

What to Consider When Shopping for Medicare Coverage
Between October 15 and December 7, Medicare’s annual open enrollment period, millions of Medicare beneficiaries have a chance to make changes to their...
What's the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act?
The Medicare Prescription Drug Improvement and Modernization Act (also known as the Medicare Moderni...
How do I file an appeal to a Medicare claim?
To file a claim with Original Medicare, review your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN), the really detail...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?