How often can I make a change to my Medicare coverage?

You can make changes to your Medicare coverage each year during the coordinated election period, November 15 to December 31.

You can change, add, or drop coverage or switch to a different Medicare plan with drug coverage. The changes will go into effect January 1.

If you decide to switch plans, make sure you add the new plan before canceling the existing one to avoid gaps in coverage.

Check your Medicare handbook for specific guidelines for making changes or call the Social Security office.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
Why find out the treatments your policy considers experimental?
Before you sign up for a health insurance plan, you should ask do some research on the insurance com...
How will the new healthcare law affect me if I have long-term care needs?
AARPAARP
People with long-term care needs will be able to get more services to help them live independently i...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?