How much do Medicare benefits cost?

You likely won’t have to pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A, thanks in part to all the payroll taxes you paid while you were employed. You must, however, pay a yearly deductible before Medicare will cover any hospitalization costs. For 2011, the Part A deductible is $1,132.

As a fee-for-service health plan, Original Medicare enables you to see any doctor or hospital that accepts Medicare.

Medicare will pay a share, usually 80 percent, of the "Medicare-approved amount," which is the cost Medicare determines is "reasonable" for the care you received, given where you live.

If you live in a city, it’s worth remembering that doctors in urban areas tend to charge more for their services, and since the "Medicare-approved amount" isn't always raised accordingly, you could end up with higher than expected expenses.

To better predict your out-of-pocket costs, be sure to ask both Medicare and your doctor’s billing department about fees and coverage.

Part A pays about 80 percent of your Medicare-approved, inpatient costs for the first 60 days you are hospitalized. If you have a longer hospital stay, you will have to pay a larger share of the costs.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
What happens to my younger spouse when I go on Medicare at age 65?
AARPAARP
The best option for your spouse, frankly, is for you to work longer—if this is at all possible—so th...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?