How is Medicare administered?

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, part of the Department of Health and Human Services, administers Medicare.

In Medicare's first dozen-and-a-half years, there was little oversight on claims and payments from Medicare to providers. The result: inflated claims and increasing health care costs, putting a major strain on the Medicare trust fund. In 1983, Medicare went to a fixed-rate payment plan, ending the practice of simply paying whatever doctors and hospitals billed the program.

Today, participating providers accept Medicare payments as "paid in full" for services. Non-participating providers can charge patients no more than 15 percent beyond the Medicare-approved amount.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
How do I know what part of my care is covered under Medicare?
You will know what part of your care is covered under Medicare by reviewing your Evidence of Coverag...
Where can I find Medicare eligibility rules?
You can get Medicare eligibility rules from the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?