How do I know if I’m eligible for Medicare?

You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen, 65 or over who had paid into Medicare for at least 10 years through your job or through self-employment “taxes.” If you didn’t pay Medicare taxes but are over 65, you may be able to buy a Medicare plan. If you are not yet 65, you are eligible for Medicare if you have kidney failure that requires dialysis or a transplant, or you have a permanent disability (by Medicare criteria).

For more information on eligibility for Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or call the Social Security office.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
How can Medicare fraud be prevented?
The best way to prevent Medicare fraud is by protecting your Medicare card number. Just like wit...
How can I enroll in Medigap insurance coverage?
You can enroll in Medicare and any supplemental Medicare plans when you file for retirement or disab...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?