How do I know if I’m eligible for Medicare?

You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen, 65 or over who had paid into Medicare for at least 10 years through your job or through self-employment “taxes.” If you didn’t pay Medicare taxes but are over 65, you may be able to buy a Medicare plan. If you are not yet 65, you are eligible for Medicare if you have kidney failure that requires dialysis or a transplant, or you have a permanent disability (by Medicare criteria).

For more information on eligibility for Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or call the Social Security office.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Medicare

Medicare

Medicare is the federal health insurance plan for people over age 65 or who are long-term disabled. Eligibility and enrollment is through the Social Security Administration. Medicare has changed over the years, offering additional ...

options for healthcare insurance. Traditional Medicare includes Part A for hospital insurance and Part B for medical coverage, meaning it covers doctor visits and other medical bills. Part C, also called Medicare Advantage, allows private health insurance companies to provide Medicare benefits. Part D is a prescription drug plan. It's important to carefully assess your healthcare needs and which plan is right for you. Learn more about Medicare benefits with expert advice from Sharecare.