How do I know if I’m eligible for Medicare?

• A , Internal Medicine, answered

You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen, 65 or over who had paid into Medicare for at least 10 years through your job or through self-employment “taxes.” If you didn’t pay Medicare taxes but are over 65, you may be able to buy a Medicare plan. If you are not yet 65, you are eligible for Medicare if you have kidney failure that requires dialysis or a transplant, or you have a permanent disability (by Medicare criteria).

For more information on eligibility for Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or call the Social Security office.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How was Medicare developed?