How do I file an appeal to a Medicare claim?

To file a claim with Original Medicare, review your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN), the really detailed and sometimes hard to understand statement you receive every three months. Circle the item you’re disputing and state the reason why. Include your Medicare number and phone number on the MSN. Make a copy before mailing it to the Medicare contractor listed on the form and file it in a safe place, but not too safe -- you want to make sure you remember where you put it!

You must file the appeal within 120 days of the date you get the MSN, and you should receive a response within 60 days. If you hit a road block, don’t give up. You can escalate the appeal. Keep all of your letters and support documentation through each stage of the process.

If you have a Medicare prescription drug plan, follow the appeal instructions in your “Notice of Denial of Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.” Other Medicare health plans will include appeal instructions in the coverage and benefits material they send to you each year. You can also contact the plan directly to find out the details.

For more help filing an appeal, contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
Is there anyone I can talk to about my specific Medicare eligibility needs?
Yes. You can make an appointment with a Social Security representative at your local office by cal...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?