How do I file a Medicare claim?

If you are enrolled in Original Medicare (Medicare Advantage does not have to file claims) you can file a claim by completing the Patient’s Request for Medical Payment form. You can find it on www.cms.hhs.gov or call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

Make sure you print the claim procedures and follow them carefully. Claims must be filed within one calendar year of the service. If they are not, Medicare cannot pay you its share.

However, keep in mind that except for rare instances, you shouldn’t need to file a Medicare claim since your doctors or healthcare providers file claims for you.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
Can I sign up for Medicare Part D at any time?
AARPAARP
If you are newly eligible for Medicare, you can enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan up to th...
What is Medicare prescription drug benefits Extra Help?
Medicare prescription drug benefits “Extra Help” refers to financial assistance to help you pay for ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?