How do I file a Medicare claim?

If you are enrolled in Original Medicare (Medicare Advantage does not have to file claims) you can file a claim by completing the Patient’s Request for Medical Payment form. You can find it on www.cms.hhs.gov or call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

Make sure you print the claim procedures and follow them carefully. Claims must be filed within one calendar year of the service. If they are not, Medicare cannot pay you its share.

However, keep in mind that except for rare instances, you shouldn’t need to file a Medicare claim since your doctors or healthcare providers file claims for you.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Open Enrollment 2015: What Medicare Beneficiaries Need to Know
Medicare beneficiaries may have noticed their mailboxes are filling with brochures and packets from health insurance companies. That’s because the ope...
How is Medicare funded?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Medicare costs about $277 billion per year, roughly 13 percent of the total federal budget.Funding c...
How do I choose a Medicare health plan?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Depending on where you live, Medicare options may be overwhelming or relatively few. Before research...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?