Has fraud been a problem in Medicare?

The U.S. General Accounting Office reported a loss of $12.6 billion to the Medicare program from fraud in 1998 Not only does that put a strain on the Medicare trust fund, it also leads to higher premiums and deductibles for Medicare recipients.

Medicare fraud can take many forms. In some cases, it's as simple as billing Medicare for medical services that are never performed, or billing at a higher value than that of the services actually performed. In some cases, swindlers steal Medicare numbers and create phantom patients, billing Medicare for non-existent appointments and tests. Some aggressively pursue seniors with door-to-door or telephone marketing and use intimidation that pressures them into buying expensive equipment or procedures.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
When can I file an appeal to a Medicare claim?
If you are filing an appeal to an Original Medicare (Part A or B) claim, you must file within 120 da...
How do I file a Medicare claim?
If you are enrolled in Original Medicare (Medicare Advantage does not have to file claims) you can...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?