How can I enroll in Medigap insurance coverage?

You can enroll in Medicare and any supplemental Medicare plans when you file for retirement or disability benefits (about three months before you turn 65). You can also just apply for Medicare and supplemental plans separately online at www.socialsecurity.gov or at an appointment at your local Social Security office. You can contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. Do apply within three months of your 65th birthday (no matter what) or you may have difficulty purchasing it in the future (not to mention it may be more expensive).

For more information about enrolling in a Medigap policy, contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), which provides free education and counseling about Medicare services and programs.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
Can I cover my family under my Medicare coverage?
When it comes to Medicare, it’s each man, woman, or child for him or herself. You cannot cover your ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?