Am I eligible for Medicare if I’m still working?

You are eligible for Medicare if you’re still working. Up to three months before you turn 65, you can enroll in Medicare. If you have enough work credits under Social Security, you can apply for Medicare only. If you don’t have enough work credits under Social Security, you will need to file for Social Security and Medicare. 

And in fact, you are strongly, strongly encouraged to enroll in Medicare even if you have insurance through your job because you may lose some Social Security benefits if you do not apply within three months of your 65th birthday, and because Medicare Part A can still help pay some of the costs not covered by your group health insurance. Medicare Part B may not cover enough services on top of your group plan to justify paying the premium.

To learn more about enrolling in Medicare while you’re still working, visit www.socialsecurity.gov or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
How can I get Medicare coverage for blood glucose test strips?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
In order to receive Medicare coverage for blood glucose test strips and related supplies, a prescrip...
Can I get my “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after enrollment?
AARPAARP
Starting in 2011, Medicare enrollees will be able to go to a health care provider and get Medicare-a...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?