Does Medicare pay for nursing home stays?

Juliet Wilkinson
Oncology Nursing

I would like to add to the previous answers to this question in reminding about the Medicare hospice benefit -- Medicare Part A. Those who are enrolled in a Medicare-approved hospice program may have different benefits as pertaining to their nursing home coverage. The Medicare hospice benefit covers a portion of respite, which is down-time for your caregivers, or it will cover brief stays as ordered by the hospice team for pain or symptom management. When in doubt ask for clarification.

Medicare provides limited coverage for nursing home stays. You must have a need for skilled services and receive service from a skilled nursing or rehabilitation facility following a qualifying hospital stay -- the time spent in a hospital immediately before you transfer to a nursing home. The prior hospital stay must be a minimum of three days. Keep in mind, though, that Medicare doesn’t cover custodial or long-term care.

Better yet, try Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE). This program provides coverage of nursing home stays, prescription drugs, and other medical costs so older people can remain in their communities.  PACE is a partnership of Medicare and Medicaid, federal assistance to help low-income families pay health costs, and is offered in many states but not all. To qualify for PACE, you must be 55 or older, live in a PACE service area, and need nursing home care. 

To find a PACE program and learn about eligibility, call your State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) office or visit www.pace4you.org. You can also order “Quick Facts about Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)” by calling Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or online at http://go.usa.gov/loL.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Open Enrollment 2015: What Medicare Beneficiaries Need to Know
Medicare beneficiaries may have noticed their mailboxes are filling with brochures and packets from health insurance companies. That’s because the ope...
How do I choose a Medicare health plan?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Depending on where you live, Medicare options may be overwhelming or relatively few. Before research...
How can I qualify for the Medicare home care benefit?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Most Americans over age 65 are eligible for the federal Medicare program. Some people under the age ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?