Does Medicare cover immunosuppressant medication costs after a transplant?

Medicare will cover 80% of the cost of three immunosuppressant medications after a transplant.

If you receive Social Security Disability Income or are over the age of 65, your 80% Medicare coverage for these specific medications will be for the life of your transplanted organ.

If you receive Medicare benefits primarily due to your end-stage renal disease, the 80% Medicare coverage for these medications will be expected to terminate at the end of three years after transplant.

If you have another disabling condition that is documented and validated by Social Security and Medicare, it is likely your Medicare benefits will remain intact. 

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Can I get my “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after enrollment?
You can get your “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after you enroll in Medicare, but Medic...
How much does Medicare prescription drug coverage cost?
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the average monthly premium is about $40.72. But the co...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?