Does Medicare cover prescription drug costs after a kidney transplant?

After a kidney transplant Medicare Part D can help you pay for your prescribed drugs that are not covered by Part A or Part B.

Medicare coverage for immunosuppressive drugs is often confusing because it is determined by a number of factors, including the transplant recipient’s Medicare eligibility at the time of transplant, disability status, whether the recipient received dialysis treatment, the type of organ being transplanted, and whether the transplant was performed in a Medicare-approved facility. Adding to the confusion is the Medicare Part D drug benefit, which provides additional drug coverage to many Medicare beneficiaries.

For Medicare beneficiaries who receive immunosuppressive coverage under Medicare Part B, non-immunosuppressive drug coverage can be accessible through enrollment in Medicare Part D.

Continue Learning about Medicare

What Is Medicare? 4 Essential Questions, Answered
If you’ll soon be turning 65, you’re probably starting to think about Medicare, the federal health insurance program currently covering more than 55 m...
Do I need to present my Medicare membership card at each doctor visit?
Just like with any insurance you have or have had, you will need to present your Medicare membership...
How do I know what part of my care is covered under Medicare?
You will know what part of your care is covered under Medicare by reviewing your Evidence of Coverag...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?