Does Medicare cover prescription drugs?

Medicare Part D provides optional prescription drug coverage.

If you select the Original Medicare plan, you can opt for the Medicare prescription drug coverage when you enroll.

However, if you chose a Medicare Advantage plan instead, certain plans include prescription drug coverage. 

While you can sign up for the drug plan after your initial enrollment, if you don’t sign up for the drug plan once you’re eligible, you may incur a penalty and higher premium later.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Can I sign up for Medicare Part D at any time?
AARPAARP
If you are newly eligible for Medicare, you can enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan up to th...
Can I get Medicare before age 65?
AARPAARP
Usually you must wait until you reach 65 to get Medicare. But there are some exceptions. You can bec...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?