What if I want to see a doctor who doesn't accept Medicare?

Not all doctors will accept Medicare’s payment for services. Those doctors who "opt out" can charge you whatever they want for their services, although only if you sign a contract with them in which the medical office spells out those conditions before services are provided. When deciding whether to see a doctor who opts out of Medicare, bear in mind that Medicare won’t pay for any portion of the bill you get from that doctor.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
Where can I find Medicare eligibility rules?
You can get Medicare eligibility rules from the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213...
How can I enroll in Medigap insurance coverage?
You can enroll in Medicare and any supplemental Medicare plans when you file for retirement or disab...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?