Do I have to enroll in a Medicare drug plan?

You don’t have to do anything (well, except maybe breathe). Enrolling in a Medicare drug plan is optional. If you elect not to enroll, you will pay for your prescription drugs on your own. Here’s the tricky part. While you can choose not to enroll in a drug plan right away, if you decide later on that you do want a plan because your doc just prescribed a ton of meds for you, you have to wait until the open enrollment period (mid-October to early December), and you will pay a penalty and a higher premium.

So enrolling in a drug plan when you are first eligible may be beneficial even if you don’t take a lot of prescription medications, especially because as you age, you may require more medication to stay healthy. If you are still working after age 65, and your employer offers health insurance, check with that employer, as enrolling in the drug benefit option of Medicare may make you ineligible for your employer’s drug benefit plan. But do enroll in Medicare within three months of your 65th birthday because your Social Security benefits may be tied to just enrolling.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
Can I get Medicare before age 65?
AARPAARP
Usually you must wait until you reach 65 to get Medicare. But there are some exceptions. You can bec...
Is there anyone I can talk to about my specific Medicare eligibility needs?
Yes. You can make an appointment with a Social Security representative at your local office by cal...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?