When is the best time to enroll in Medigap?

The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your Medigap open enrollment period, which lasts for six months and begins on the first day of the month in which you are both 65 or older and enrolled in Medicare Part B. During this period, you can buy a Medigap policy without fear of being turned down or charged more because of a past or present health problem. After this six-month period, you may be denied coverage or charged more due to a pre-existing condition. 

For instance, if you completed your Medicare enrollment in time for your 65th birthday, and your birthday is on May 14, this window runs from your Medicare effective date of May 1 until Oct. 31.

If you join a Medicare Advantage plan, also called Part C, you don’t need and can’t buy a Medigap policy.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Can I get Medicare before age 65?
AARPAARP
Usually you must wait until you reach 65 to get Medicare. But there are some exceptions. You can bec...
How do I know what part of my care is covered under Medicare?
You will know what part of your care is covered under Medicare by reviewing your Evidence of Coverag...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?