Is there any aid available to help me pay for Medicare?

You bet. There are a number of programs that help you pay for Medicare, if you’re eligible. Here’s a snapshot:

• Medicare Savings Program. States offer help to pay Medicare premiums of Part A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance). This can be used to offset the cost of deductibles (the amount you pay before Medicare pays), coinsurance (the amount you pay after the deductible) and co-payments (the amount you pay as your share of medical costs). The programs are based on your income.
  • Medicaid. The joint federal and state government program provides much-needed assistance to cover healthcare expenses for low-income families. If you’re eligible, Medicaid can pay most of your healthcare costs and cover some of the services that Medicare does not. Call your state Medicaid agency for eligibility requirements.
  • Pharmacy Assistance. Nonprofit organizations and even drug companies now offer financial assistance to help people pay for their medication. Look for a State Pharmacy Assistance Program or a Program for All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).

For more information about financial assistance to help you pay for Medicare, call 1-800-633-4227 and ask for “Medicaid” or get in touch with your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), which provides info and counseling on free health insurance.

You can also request the “Get Help With Your Medicare Costs: Getting Started” brochure online at http://go.usa.gov/loA.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
Do I need to present my Medicare membership card at each doctor visit?
Just like with any insurance you have or have had, you will need to present your Medicare membership...
Why find out the treatments your policy considers experimental?
Before you sign up for a health insurance plan, you should ask do some research on the insurance com...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?