What is urea breath testing?

Gary W. Falk, MD
Gastroenterology
Urea breath testing is an accurate non-invasive test for the presence of H. pylori infection. This test involves the detection of gastric urease -- the enzyme used by H. pylori to metabolize urea -- in the patient’s breath. Since humans do not normally metabolize urea, the test easily discriminates between infected and uninfected individuals according to the presence or absence of urease breakdown products in expired breath.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Get Your Test Results Yet?
Get Your Test Results Yet?
Ever not hear back on tests your doctor ordered? And assumed that no news is good news? Best pick up the phone. Why? Because research suggests that a...
How can I be sure I'm getting only the tests I need?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Take control. It is your body, your health, and your life. You are the boss -- so act like it! D...
What is general surgery?
Fawcett Memorial HospitalFawcett Memorial Hospital
General surgery is used for the surgical treatment of various conditions.
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?