What is urea breath testing?

Gary W. Falk, MD
Gastroenterology
Urea breath testing is an accurate non-invasive test for the presence of H. pylori infection. This test involves the detection of gastric urease -- the enzyme used by H. pylori to metabolize urea -- in the patient’s breath. Since humans do not normally metabolize urea, the test easily discriminates between infected and uninfected individuals according to the presence or absence of urease breakdown products in expired breath.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Ask the Experts: Spinal Cord Stimulation and Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer Risk
Q: Lately I’ve read about paraplegics with damaged spinal cords who are able to walk again using the latest technology. Can you explain how that works...
Why should I consider getting a QEEG?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
QEEGs can be used to help assess psychiatric and neurologic conditions (ADHD, anxiety, depression, P...
Health Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30s
Health Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30s
Learn about the must-have tests for both men and women.
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?