What is the purpose of arterial testing?

Arterial testing is used to evaluate both the aorta and peripheral arteries in the arms, hands, legs and feet. The ultrasound evaluation of the aorta is the main screening test to detect abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) and also is the main test to follow these aneurysms after detection. Vascular laboratory arterial testing also is used for the evaluation of atherosclerosis and other vascular diseases in the extremities, which may produce pain in the extremity or threaten the limb. Arterial testing utilizes blood pressure measurements in conjunction with duplex ultrasound to provide physicians with a complete picture of upper and lower extremity circulation.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Ask the Experts: Spinal Cord Stimulation and Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer Risk
Q: Lately I’ve read about paraplegics with damaged spinal cords who are able to walk again using the latest technology. Can you explain how that works...
How should I prepare my child for a painful medical procedure?
It is always difficult to prepare any loved one for a painful medical procedure, especially when tha...
Why should I consider getting a QEEG?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
QEEGs can be used to help assess psychiatric and neurologic conditions (ADHD, anxiety, depression, P...
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?