How can I be sure I'm getting only the tests I need?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Take control. It is your body, your health, and your life. You are the boss -- so act like it! Do not just go with the flow. Be courteous, but always assertive. I recommend the following questions as a matter of routine in response to any recommended test or treatment:
  • Is this the lowest-risk option?
  • If not, does this approach add benefit that more than offsets the risk? 
  • Is this the test or treatment you would have if you were in my shoes?
  • Is this the test or treatment you would prescribe for a loved one in my shoes? 
  • Is there another option with less risk, more potential benefit, or both that we should consider?
  • Are you sure I need another test, and will the results change my treatment options? Can you tell me how? 
  • Are you sure I need a treatment, and will it reliably change my results for the better? Can you tell me how? 
  • How confident are you in this recommendation you are making?
A lot of truly good information can be gleaned from such an exchange, but actually, it serves another purpose too. It slows down a doctor who may be harried and hurried and forces her/him to deal with you as a person, rather than a patient. It may be that an emphatic introduction of the human element into the medical equation is the best defense against human fallibility. Not a perfect defense, but good nonetheless.

Be a good boss: ask good questions; get good answers. By doing so, you can help ensure that you and your doctor are always diligent and choosing wisely -- together.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Get Your Test Results Yet?
Get Your Test Results Yet?
Ever not hear back on tests your doctor ordered? And assumed that no news is good news? Best pick up the phone. Why? Because research suggests that a...
How can I decide if I need a specific medical test?
TriStar Summit Medical CenterTriStar Summit Medical Center
Ask your primary care physician whether you need a specific medical test. Your primary care physicia...
What is an enema?
An enema is a procedure in which a tube or bottle is inserted into the rectum, and liquid is instill...
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?