How is radiosurgery used to treat trigeminal neuralgia?

The other main sort of treatment that we use for trigeminal neuralgia is what's called radiosurgery. This is not the radiation therapy that one is used to thinking about, a large area of the brain treated with radiation therapy beams. This is a laser-like, very fine-focused beam of radiation, or several of them, that intersect on the nerve to cause an injury, a controlled discrete injury to the nerve.

It's an outpatient procedure. It takes one treatment, and generally, it's done with a device called a gamma knife, with intersecting beams. Now it's done with a linear accelerator, a Novalis unit, or a cyberknife; all of these are robotic-like devices that direct a beam of radiation therapy very precisely right on the trigeminal nerve. We see a spot on the nerve that is hit, which causes an injury and an injury response, which often resolves the trigeminal neuralgia.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Shocking News About DIY Electro Stimulation
Nicola Duffy, from Dublin, Ireland, recorded her own close call with a bolt of lightning -- so...
How can I decide if I need a specific medical test?
Dr. Loza H. Jemjem, MDDr. Loza H. Jemjem, MD
To determine if someone needs a specific medical test, we take a detailed history of their symptoms ...
Why should I consider getting a QEEG?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
QEEGs can be used to help assess psychiatric and neurologic conditions (ADHD, anxiety, depression, P...
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?