How is radiosurgery used to treat trigeminal neuralgia?

The other main sort of treatment that we use for trigeminal neuralgia is what's called radiosurgery. This is not the radiation therapy that one is used to thinking about, a large area of the brain treated with radiation therapy beams. This is a laser-like, very fine-focused beam of radiation, or several of them, that intersect on the nerve to cause an injury, a controlled discrete injury to the nerve.

It's an outpatient procedure. It takes one treatment, and generally, it's done with a device called a gamma knife, with intersecting beams. Now it's done with a linear accelerator, a Novalis unit, or a cyberknife; all of these are robotic-like devices that direct a beam of radiation therapy very precisely right on the trigeminal nerve. We see a spot on the nerve that is hit, which causes an injury and an injury response, which often resolves the trigeminal neuralgia.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Ask the Experts: Spinal Cord Stimulation and Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer Risk
Q: Lately I’ve read about paraplegics with damaged spinal cords who are able to walk again using the latest technology. Can you explain how that works...
How can I be sure I'm getting only the tests I need?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Take control. It is your body, your health, and your life. You are the boss -- so act like it! D...
Health Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30s
Health Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30s
Learn about the must-have tests for both men and women.
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?