How can I decide if I need a specific medical test?

Ask your primary care physician whether you need a specific medical test. Your primary care physician can help you decide on what blood work you need based on your age, gender and medical history.

When you see your doctor, remember that when it comes to testing, more is not better. There are risks associated with unnecessary testing. The results of any test should have the potential to improve your care and subsequent health, and test results obtained by subspecialists should be routinely shared with your primary physician to limit duplication and wasteful spending.

There are very few “routine tests.” Electrocardiography (EKGs), chest X-rays and most laboratory tests are not useful for prevention or health maintenance. Tests and procedures should be done with specific goals in mind and when the benefits outweigh the risks involved.

To determine if someone needs a specific medical test, we take a detailed history of their symptoms and give them a physical. Based on their physical, we usually try to come up with a short list of possible diagnoses. In order to identify the right diagnosis, we perform blood tests and maybe even other screenings like an electrocardiogram, depending on what we think it is.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Spinach Leaves Used to Help Grow Human Heart Tissue
Scientists have been growing human tissues and organs in the lab for a while now. Technologies like 3-D printing—the use of specialty printers to laye...
What will my child want to know about medical procedures?
What your child wants to know will chiefly involve these concerns: What is being done? How much ...
Health Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30s
Health Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 20s and 30s
Learn about the must-have tests for both men and women.
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?