What are some complications of bone marrow transplants?

Bone marrow transplants can have a number of complications. For a bone marrow transplant to work, the bone marrow has to look like, or match, the recipient's own bone marrow. It can be hard to find a match. Even if the bone marrow is a match, the body may realize that they’re not the same and start a fight. This causes lots of problems, and the person will need medicine every day until the body gets used to the new bone marrow and the fighting stops. It can be hard taking all the medicines. They can cause side effects too. Because of this, bone marrow transplants aren’t right for everyone.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Ask the Experts: Spinal Cord Stimulation and Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer Risk
Q: Lately I’ve read about paraplegics with damaged spinal cords who are able to walk again using the latest technology. Can you explain how that works...
Why should I consider getting a QEEG?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
QEEGs can be used to help assess psychiatric and neurologic conditions (ADHD, anxiety, depression, P...
Why would I need visceral vascular testing?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Visceral vascular testing comprises tests of the renal and mesenteric arteries to examine the circul...
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?