What are some complications of bone marrow transplants?

Bone marrow transplants can have a number of complications. For a bone marrow transplant to work, the bone marrow has to look like, or match, the recipient's own bone marrow. It can be hard to find a match. Even if the bone marrow is a match, the body may realize that they’re not the same and start a fight. This causes lots of problems, and the person will need medicine every day until the body gets used to the new bone marrow and the fighting stops. It can be hard taking all the medicines. They can cause side effects too. Because of this, bone marrow transplants aren’t right for everyone.

Continue Learning about Tests and Procedures

Don't Skip These Health Tests
Don't Skip These Health Tests
Whether we don’t have the time, don’t think our insurance covers them or simply don’t know which ones to get, many of us put off—or altogether skip—pr...
How can I be sure I'm getting only the tests I need?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Take control. It is your body, your health, and your life. You are the boss -- so act like it! D...
What is the purpose of arterial testing?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Arterial testing is used to evaluate both the aorta and peripheral arteries in the arms, hands, legs...
How Big of an Issue Are False Positives?