What is the predictive value of a screening test?

The predictive value of a screening test reflects the probability that the test result is correct or incorrect. For example, once a person receives a positive result, the clinician must determine the probability that the patient actually has the disease, as opposed to it being a false-positive result. Moreover, if a person tests negative, the clinician must determine the negative predictive value of a test -- the probability the person is truly disease-free.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What is outpatient care?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Outpatients go home the same day they have their procedure and do not require an overnight hospital ...
How should I care for my intravenous (IV) line?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You can help prevent problems with your intravenous (IV) line by keeping your hand away from the...
What Are Some Less Invasive Reconstruction Techniques?
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?