What is the predictive value of a screening test?

The predictive value of a screening test reflects the probability that the test result is correct or incorrect. For example, once a person receives a positive result, the clinician must determine the probability that the patient actually has the disease, as opposed to it being a false-positive result. Moreover, if a person tests negative, the clinician must determine the negative predictive value of a test -- the probability the person is truly disease-free.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What are some less invasive reconstruction techniques?
Mark Sisco, MDMark Sisco, MD
Modern technology allows doctors to use minimally invasive techniques important for harvesting the t...
Will I need someone to take me home after outpatient surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
After ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery with an anesthetic or sedation, you must make arrangements ...
What Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?
What Are Some Less Invasive Reconstruction Techniques?