What is the predictive value of a medical test?

An important aspect of accuracy of a test is called predictive value. This has to do with the confidence one can have in a specific test result. Positive predictive value (PPV) is the chance that a positive test result is really due to the disease. Negative predictive value (NPV) is the probability that a negative result means no disease is present.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

When is a breathing tube necessary for surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Your anesthesia professional will speak to you before surgery and decide if you need a breathing tub...
Why might I need medical testing?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
The goal of medical testing is to figure out what is going on (and then, what to do about it). T...
What Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?