What should I do if I see oozing or redness around my IV site?

If, after your intravenous (IV) line is inserted and fluids are running, you notice oozing around the tape or increased swelling, redness or pain at the site, let the nurse know right away. The IV may have become dislodged from the vein, resulting in leakage into the surrounding tissues. When this is the case, the IV has to be taken out and a new one inserted, always in a different location. If your skin is swollen and red, ask for warm compress.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures