What is infusion therapy?

Infusion therapy is the administration of medications or nutrients through a needle or catheter. Some of the most common reasons for infusion therapy include:
  • chronic pain
  • dehydration
  • gastrointestinal problems
  • heart failure
  • immunodeficiency disorders
  • serious infections
The team responsible for infusion therapy, which may include pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, an intake nurse, a total parenteral nutrition (TPN) pharmacist and an infectious disease pharmacist, help ease a person’s transition from the hospital by matching a home nursing agency with the their geographical location and delivering IV medications and supplies directly to their home.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What is the predictive value of a screening test?
The predictive value of a screening test reflects the probability that the test result is correc...
Can I safely take my medication as usual before outpatient surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Before ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery, some medications should be taken and others should not. I...
What Are Some Less Invasive Reconstruction Techniques?
What Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?