What can I expect during a cross-sectional interventional service (CIS)?

After you change into a hospital gown for the cross-interventional service (CIS), the nurse or technologist will place an intravenous line in your arm so you can receive fluids and medications to alleviate discomfort or anxiety during the procedure.

Your blood pressure will be taken and a small probe will be placed on your finger to monitor your blood oxygen level. You will also be attached to a cardiac monitor during the procedure.

Preliminary images will help the radiologist to plan the procedure. Then the skin will be prepared sterilely and local anesthesia will be administered. For most studies your anesthesia will not put you to sleep because you will need to follow breathing instructions during the procedure.

Then, your interventional radiologist will use the imaging device to guide a needle into your body for purposes of performing the intervention. Typical interventions include biopsy, catheter placement, and ablation of solid lesions.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

How successful is radiofrequency ablation?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Radiofrequency ablation is successful in 90 to 95 percent of people who undergo this heart proce...
What is outpatient care?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Outpatients go home the same day they have their procedure and do not require an overnight hospital ...
What Are Some Less Invasive Reconstruction Techniques?
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?