What should I expect after outpatient surgery?

After ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room. Your anesthesiologist will direct the monitoring and medications needed for a safe recovery. For the first 30 minutes, your breathing and heart functions will be observed closely by nurses and you may be given extra oxygen.

In some facilities, you may be moved to another area where family or friends may be allowed to visit. Here you may be offered something to drink, and you will be assisted in getting up.

Discomfort depends on a number of factors, especially the type of surgery. The doctors and nurses can relieve pain after your surgery with medicines given by mouth, injection or by numbing the area around the incision. Discomfort should be tolerable, but do not expect to be totally pain-free.

Nausea or vomiting may be related to anesthesia, the surgical procedure or postoperative pain medications. Even with anesthetic agents and techniques these side effects continue to occur for some patients.

Medications to minimize postoperative pain, nausea and vomiting are often given by your anesthesiologist during the surgical procedure and in recovery.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What are some types of cross-sectional interventional services (CIS)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are some types of cross-sectional interventional services (CIS): Biopsy: A tissue ...
What will my doctor learn from a tilt table test?
SCAISCAI
If you faint or develop symptoms such as nausea, sweating, lightheadedness, blurred vision or a flut...
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?