What is the best way to get a shot?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
It is best to lie down when your nurse gives you a shot, even if the shot is in your arm. Lying flat helps to distribute the medication more effectively into your system. If you’re right-handed and the nurse wants to give you a shot in the arm or start an IV, ask to have it in the left arm. If you know where you have a good (easy) vein to access, whether for an IV or drawing blood, speak up. This will make it easier for you and the technician or nurse.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

When can I go home after outpatient surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Going home after ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery will depend on the policy of the surgery center,...
What is meant by sensitivity of a medical test?
The accuracy of a test is evaluated by a number of factors. One is its ability to detect a high ...
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?