How do I give a subcutaneous injection with a prefilled syringe?

To give a subcutaneous injection from a prefilled syringe, you need to first prepare the syringe:
  1. Wash your hands.
  2. Remove the cap from the syringe.
  3. Check to see if the plunger’s black tip is even with the line of the dose. You may have to waste some of the medicine in the prefilled syringe if there’s too much in it. Your doctor will tell you how much medicine is needed.
Then do the following steps:
  1. Choose a place to put the injection and wipe the skin with an alcohol swab. If you will be giving the medicine for a long time (like insulin), do not swab with alcohol because it makes the skin tough over time.
  2. Gently pinch the skin. Hold the syringe at a 90-degree angle to the skin (straight up from the skin) and push the needle all the way in.
  3. Let go of the pinched skin and slowly push the plunger to inject all of the medicine. Count to ten (about five seconds) before pulling the needle out.
  4. Put the used syringe in a plastic or metal container with a tight lid. Don’t put it right into the trash. When the container is full, be sure the lid is closed and put the container in the trash.
  5. If there is bleeding at the injection site, hold pressure on the site for up to three minutes.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

Can I take medications before an esophageal motility procedure?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Before your esophageal motility procedure, you must stop taking the following medications: Prilo...
What is the predictive value of a medical test?
An important aspect of accuracy of a test is called predictive value. This has to do with the co...
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?