How do I prepare for a tilt table test?

Avoid eating or drinking for four to six hours before your tilt table test. This will minimize the chances of nausea and vomiting.

Generally you can take your usual medications with a small amount of water, but ask your doctor to be sure. It is best to avoid taking diuretics or laxatives, as the tilt table test typically takes about 90 minutes, and you will not be able to use the restroom during that time.

If you have diabetes, be sure to inform the staff at the testing center when you call to schedule your appointment. It may be best to schedule the test at a time that allows you to eat a light meal beforehand and still be done in time for your next meal.

For convenience, you should dress in a comfortable short-sleeved shirt or blouse that buttons down the front. This will make it easier to apply the blood pressure cuff and the electrode patches that connect to the electrocardiogram recorder, as well as to start an intravenous line.

Finally, for your safety, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

How do I inject the medicine in a subcutaneous injection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To give a subcutaneous injection, you need to draw medication up from the vial. You do this by f...
When will my intravenous (IV) line be removed?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The intravenous (IV) line must be removed before you leave the hospital. Don’t leave with one in...
How should I care for my intravenous (IV) line?
You can help prevent problems with your intravenous (IV) line by keeping your hand away from the...
What does evidence-based practice mean for me?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Evidence is judged through research and common practice leading to the desired outcomes for a partic...