What kind of questions should I ask a researcher in clinical research?

As a participant, you are a partner in the study. It is important that you know what is likely to happen during the study and the purpose of the research.

One good way to find out about whether you want to participate is to ask the researcher questions. Below are some ideas about what to ask. Feel free to add your own questions to this list:

Why do you want me in your study? What is the research about? How will this research help doctors treat or understand my disorder? How might this study help me, my relatives, or other people with my disorder? Will taking part in this study affect my daily life? What are the standard treatments for my illness or condition? What is likely to happen to me without a new treatment? Are there risks for me if I participate? If so, what are they? Will this study involve any change in my medications?

Remember to ask again if you would like further explanation or if you did not understand the answer you received. You are entitled to understand! If you forget to ask a question or forget the answers to the questions, ask again. It is part of the researcher's job to help you understand.

This answer is based on source information from National Institute of Mental Healthf.

Continue Learning about Medical Research

Joining a Clinical Trial: Should You or Shouldn’t You?
You may not feel as if you have much choice when it comes to healthcare for a serious illness. But whether or not to join a clinical trial is complete...
What happens during the FDA review and approval process of drugs?
PhRMAPhRMA
In this final stage, the FDA scientists review all the results from all the studies carried out over...
What is the primary source of funding for new drug development?
PhRMAPhRMA
Major pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies are the primary source of research and development ...
What Has Surprised You the Most in the World of Technology?