Is orphan drug research a distraction from more important research?

Conducting research to find treatments for rare diseases and finding cures for widespread epidemics are not mutually exclusive work. Knowledge obtained from researching rare diseases can often have wide-reaching benefits. Studies of the prion disease kuru, for instance, led to increased understanding of more widespread prion diseases, a better handle on the threat of mad cow disease.

Continue Learning about Medical Research

Early Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Children With Autism
Autism, a developmental disorder that affects about one out of 68 U.S. children, typically involves communication and learning difficulties. It’s a sp...
How can I find a clinical trial for cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
If you are interested in participating in clinical research for cancer, your first conversation shou...
How do I know whether to believe the latest medical research findings?
If you've noticed an uptick in oddball medical research lately, you're not imagining things. With ov...
What Has Surprised You the Most in the World of Technology?