What are my options if I can't afford health insurance?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing
The new law has changed the requirements for Medicaid and depending on your income, you might be eligible. Anyone with an income at or lower than 138 percent of the federal poverty level, (about $16,000 for an individual or $32,500 for a family of four based on current guidelines) would be eligible for Medicaid. However, the Supreme Court ruled in June 2012 that states cannot be forced to make that change. As of December 2012, 25 states and the District of Columbia have chosen to expand Medicaid.

Continue Learning about Medicaid

Medicaid

Medicaid

Medicaid is a U.S. government program that helps pay for medical costs and health care for certain individuals, including those with low income and low resources, children, the disabled, pregnant women, the blind and the elderly. ...

Medicaid insurance is jointly funded by the federal and state governments. Each state administers its own Medicaid program, so Medicaid eligibility requirements vary. Learn more about how to qualify for Medicaid and healthcare resources available with expert advice from Sharecare.