What does measles elimination mean?

Elimination is defined as the absence of endemic measles virus transmission in a defined geographic area, such as a region or country, for 12 months or longer in the presence of a well-performing surveillance system. In 2000, the United States declared that measles was eliminated from this country. The United States was able to eliminate measles because it has a highly effective measles vaccine, a strong vaccination program that achieves high vaccine coverage in children and a strong public health system for detecting and responding to measles cases and outbreaks.

Continue Learning about Measles (Rubeola)

Why You Should Get the Measles Vaccine
Why You Should Get the Measles Vaccine
In the 2007 horror film, I Am Legend, a U.S. virologist (Will Smith) lives in post-apocalyptic New York City, where a genetically re-engineered measle...
What can I do if I am unsure whether I'm immune to measles?
If you’re unsure whether you’re immune to measles, you should first try to find your vaccination rec...
5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles
5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles
Get the truth about the disease that’s making headlines. 
Who Is at Risk for Measles?
Who Is at Risk for Measles?